Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Culture War Is Lost Unless . . ."

By Rick Pearcey

Seth Elliott of IHS has a word for delusional culture warriors lacking credibility:

The culture war is lost unless people begin to trust Christians more than secularists, atheists, communists, and radical liberals. To gain this social trust, I propose that Christians everywhere submit themselves to the Christian Credibility Creed.

Read the specifics of Mr. Elliott's Credibility Creed here. Do you agree with him -- in general, in particular?

Related articles:
*
Dembski Questions Famed Healing Ministry
* What Is a Plagiarist?
* O'Reilly, Letterman, and the Culture War
* Francis Schaeffer: A Student's Appreciation of a Distinct Approach
* I'll Take Sartre

_______________
Rick Pearcey is editor and publisher of The Pearcey Report (articles).

1 comment:

Robert Minto said...

Much of this "creed" expressed things that have been bitterly filling my mind ever since I became interested in changing our culture and took a gander around me to see how others were doing that. But at the same time, I'm becoming more and more cautious (because of tendencies I see in myself) with the excessive desire for credibility. Certainly there are many bogus 'culture warriors' out there whose tactics seem to shame the Christian community. But often my repulsion from them results in valuing 'credibility' over the firmness of my gospel message. And when that happens, I need to step back and realize that "credibility" is somewhat ambiguous. I think I would rather be credible in God's eyes than credible in the world's. Is it always possible for me to be credible to both? In some ways, such as artistic excellence, scholarly standards, etc., it is and should be, but when it comes to whether I hold certain viewpoints or opinions that mark out the priesthood of those who are supremely credible to the World, then I certainly would wish to draw the line. Often the line seems blurred though--especially when, for example, artistic excellence becomes conflated with some of those viewpoints and opinions. I suppose, to conclude this too-long comment, that I would accept this list as an eloquent expression of something real, but caution against the possible results of spending too much time pampering the attitude it results from.